Someone suggested to me that I need to abandon my functional resume for a chronological resume, which can then be dumbed-down to get a stopgap job, although it seems to me that all that would do is expand the gaps on my resume. I have been waiting several weeks for her feedback on it. Here is the core, if not the formatting…
Freelance Creative Artist various
Research, Writing, Directing, Editing, Composing, and Web Design 1998 – present
- Clients have included R.L. Migdal Creative Multimedia/Bank Street Bookstore (Bronx/New York, NY), Bolt Web Solutions (Brooklyn, NY), Best Real Estate Service (Great Neck, NY), WFYI-PBS (Indianapolis, IN), Uzo/Cold Grey Studio (Jamaica, NY), Harry S. Robins (San Francisco, CA), Tony Bennett/Bennettech (Staten Island, NY), Philomena Muinzer/Pennant Books (London, UK), Always Your Choice (New York, NY), Remilon (Mountain View, CA), JB Productions (New York, NY), Big Shoulders Productions (Chicago, IL), Docuwriter/Ace Hardware (Indianapolis, IN), The Baum Bugle/The International Wizard of Oz Club (Alameda, CA), Film Score Monthly (Los Angeles, CA), Video Watchdog (Cincinnati, OH), Robert Rini/Stage Actors’ Workshop (Indianapolis, IN), Sharon Jean Hamilton (Indianapolis, IN), Bobbie Horowitz Productions (New York, NY)
- Created three stage plays, five screenplays, a novel, an opera, and shorter works of fiction, non-fiction, and drama.
- Wrote a screenplay based on an orally-delivered outline by the director.
- Produced, wrote, and edited segment for Across Indiana, WFYI’s Peabody award winning documentary series
- Generated SEO-driven content.
- Wrote press releases and documentary narration.
- Edited video and audio content with Final Cut Pro and Adobe Premiere.
- Researched and wrote on a variety of topics including film, literature, juvenile literature, music, hooliganism, health, education, home improvement, technology, real estate, and cookware.
- Indexed commercial catalogs.
- Created websites using Unix editors, FrontPage, Dreamweaver, Photoshop, and Flash.
- Created specialized MySpace pages on health topics.
- Directed and assistant directed stage productions.
69 Productions/Maruti Transit Jacksonville, FL
Research/Administrative Assistant 10/11 – 05/12
- Edited and revised master’s level material into doctoral dissertation.
- Video editing on Final Cut Pro.
- Researched details on film festivals worldwide.
- Dispatched paratransit vehicles using telephone and CB radio.
- Calculated mileage and fuel use of vehicles.
- General office duties, Word, Excel.
Motéma Music New York, NY
Proofreader and Administrative Associate 07/11 – 10/11
- Edited album cover music videos on Final Cut Pro.
- Researched African and Asian Studies departments at universities throughout the world for tours by Randy Weston and A Moving Sound.
- Proofread and corrected liner notes and press releases for all albums released during the period of my employment.
- General office duties, Word, Excel.
Champion Learning Center New York, NY
Freelance Tutor (seasonal) 12/10 – 06/11
- Tutored students in grades 7-10 in English/Language Arts and Mathematics.
Boricua College Brooklyn, NY
Freelance Adjunct Professor/Tutor (English Composition) 09/09 – 02/10
- Tutored students in English composition.
- Promoted to adjunct professor in 10/09, teaching one first year composition course.
DOTmed.com/Owen Kane Holdings New York, NY
Project Manager 01/07 – 02/08
- Wrote “Old Into Gold” column for print magazine, DOTmed Business News
- Researched health news and wrote articles for DOTmed News website.
- Interviewed clients for exclusive articles for website and magazine.
- Typing dictation for the company president.
- General office duties, message delivery, liaison with corporate attorney.
The Employment Line, Snelling Personnel Staffing, et al. (temporary agencies) New York, NY
Proofreader and General Clerical Work 05/05 – 12/06
- Clients included Morgan Stanley (Jersey City, NJ), Housing Works Thrift Shop Administrative Offices (New York, NY), and Jewish Board of Family and Children’s Services (Staten Island, NY), among others.
- Proofread documents for discrepancies and name changes.
- Typing dictation of psychological reports.
- General office duties, Word, Excel, Filing.
CUNY Research Foundation Staten Island, NY
Academic Advisor (temporary), The College of Staten Island 12/04 – 02/05
- Customer service: assisted freshmen and sophomores as to general education requirements.
The Bronx Opera Bronx, NY
Singer 02/04 – 05/04
- Cover for Dottore Grenvil and bass chorus in La Traviata.
ETS Princeton, NJ
Scoring Supervisor (freelance/seasonal) 06/03 – 09/03
- Supervised up to six other employees.
- Scored short answer and essay portions of standardized educational examinations.
Certificate in Web Page Design from New York City Department of Education 2011
Master of Arts in Cinema and Media Studies (GPA: 3.5) 2005
The College of Staten Island/The City University of New York
Bachelor of Arts in English (GPA: 3.5) and Communication Studies (GPA: 3.0) 1999
Indiana University – Purdue University at Indianapolis
· Adobe Certified Associate, Web Communication using Adobe Dreamweaver CS3, Adobe Systems Incorporated, 7547604 July 2011
· Adobe Certified Associate, Rich Media Communication using Adobe Flash CS3, Adobe Systems Incorporated, 7646745 July 2011
· Adobe Certified Associate, Visual Communication using Adobe Photoshop CS3, Adobe Systems Incorporated, 7646947 July 2011
- Typing 60 WPM
- Movie Magic Screenwriter
- Final Cut Pro
- Adobe Premiere
- Quark Xpress
- Microsoft Office Suite: Word, Excel, Access, Outlook, PowerPoint, FrontPage
The Frederick E. Otto Fiction Award, The International Wizard of Oz Club Away from the Prosaic Gas-Light: A Theatrical Celebration of the Works of L. Fran